Check out the full size guide for images to post on Facebook. Here we show you the different sizes and formats to use to post profile photos, group photos, event photos, page covers, stories and illustrative images of advertisements with the best possible rendering in 2022.
Article updated in 2022.
In short: the main dimensions of images on Facebook
- Logo: 720 x 720 pixels
- Coverage: 820 x 312 pixels
- Stories: 1080 x 1920 pixels
- Image shared in the Facebook feed: 1080 x 1080 pixels on mobile, 1200 x 630 on Desktop
- Illustration of a post with link: 1200 x 630 pixels
- Facebook event image: 1920 x 1005 pixels
- Cover image of a Facebook group: 1640 x 856 pixels
- Facebook right column (advertising): 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Facebook carousel: 1080 x 1080 pixels
In what format should I save my images to post on Facebook? .jpg or .png?
Before presenting the different image sizes dedicated to Facebook, it is essential to know in which format to save your creations intended for a publication on Facebook if you want to obtain the best possible result.
When posting photos to Facebook, we therefore strongly recommend that you opt for saving your images in .png format, to avoid seeing your pixelated images once shared on the social network.
This recommendation is valid for the profile photo, the cover image but also for all the other images shared on Facebook, advertisements included.
What dimensions for the cover photo and profile image of a Facebook page?
As you can see in this official Facebook visual featuring the ideal dimensions for Facebook covers and profile photos, a profile picture will have the best visual rendering if it is created in format 720 x 720 pixels, although it is then displayed in the format 170 x 170 pixels.
For Facebook page covers, the ideal size is 820 x 312 pixels for a weight of less than 100 KB (to optimize the loading time of the image when the connection is slow).
As you can see on this Facebook page dedicated to dimensions, there are other interesting elements to take into account to create even more successful and uncompressed covers.
Note that if you do not use these ideal dimensions, Facebook will allow you, in the case of a cover photo, to reposition it as you wish within the limits of its possibilities, the good final result will not therefore be guaranteed.
For your information, on smartphones, the cover image will display as 640 x 360 pixels.
Source: Dimensions of Facebook images
What dimensions for the other images on the Facebook pages?
What dimension for the single images posted on Facebook?
The traditional images shared on the timeline must be made in 1200 x 630 format if you want them to appear best on Facebook. They will appear in the News Feed of Facebook users with a maximum width of 470 pixels. On your page, they will appear with a maximum width of 504 pixels.
What size for illustration images of links shared on Facebook?
Link artwork images look best when used with the 1200 x 627 pixel format. If your image does not have these dimensions, Facebook will automatically adjust its rendering to optimize it as well as possible, but your visual may become rasterized based on the image’s original dimensions.
What dimensions for carousel posts on Facebook?
Facebook posts in carousel format and not sponsored are not included in this presentation image of ideal dimensions, be aware that for this type of post, the recommended size for each image embedded in a slide is 600 x 600 pixels. The last slide will automatically display the profile picture of your page, so this last picture cannot be changed.
What image size for the images on the front page of the applications?
The ideal size for these app visuals is 111 x 74 pixels. As with all the other images added to Facebook, the .png format should also be used here when creating the visual.
What size images for Facebook ads?
Facebook ads are a bit of a special image format since they can be displayed in different places on the site depending on the advertiser’s objectives..
By default, here’s what Facebook recommends as the minimum image size per ad type:
- Carousel format advertisements: each image must be at least 600 x 600 pixels
- Ads with objective clicks to website or conversions: 1200 x 628 pixels
- Ads that boost a one-page post: 1200 x 900 pixels
- Ads for the promotion of a page in order to collect new likes: 1200 x 444 pixels
- Advertisements to promote the installation of an application: 1200 x 628
- Ads for local businesses (local awareness ads): 1,200 x 628 pixels
- Advertisements for events: 1200 x 444 pixels
- Advertisements for the promotion of special fixed-term offers: 1200 x 628 pixels
- Ads for generating views on videos: 1200 x 675 pixels
- Ads for lead generation: 1200 x 628 pixels
As a reminder, all your promotional images intended for Facebook Ads must not contain more than 20% of text (logo included).
If there are image formats not included in this page, please let us know in the comments, so we can complete this page with your comments.