Emotional and mental balance is also an important part of good health. Learn about psychobiotic foods and their positive natural antidepressant and anxiolytic effects
The mental health has always been an important issue, however in recent months derived from the coronavirus pandemic a worldwide increase in all kinds of mental ailments, among which high levels of stress stand out, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, irritability and nervousness. Although it is essential to resort to all those tools that avoid the consumption of drugs with side effects, as in the case of psychological therapy, meditation and breathing exercises, feeding too plays a key role.
The good news is that there natural allies which are considered as powerful as some drugs. Such is the case of psychobiotic foods which are considered as a neurochemical drug species natural, which are related to their effects on balance emotional and mental disturbances.
This type of food has the peculiarity of being a extraordinary ally to nourish the microbiota. In recent years, much has been said about the importance of take care of intestinal health and the reason is simple: is directly related to emotions and also on the other hand with the operation of the immune system. You probably didn’t know but when they show up alterations in the microbiota it is very normal for them to occur changes in mood and behavior. Psychobiotics contain strains of bacteria capable of modifying the function of the adrenal cortex, where almost the 95% of cortisol of our body, a hormone that increases the level of stress and anxiety.
How do psychobiotic foods work?
It is important to understand that bacterial flora marks emotions, at the same time it is an aspect that has a close relationship with food. Any change we make in our diet may modify the intestinal flora and its functioning, that is why the most effective way to nurture and benefit her It is through the consumption of probiotic foods since they contain the living microorganisms that form it. That is why in recent years much has been said about the benefits of consuming fermented foods, since they are rich in probiotic substances as is the case with him yogurt, kefir, miso, sauerkraut, seasoned olives and kombucha.
At once the consumption of prebiotics also intervenes in the microbiota quality, since they have the important function of feed the microorganisms of the intestinal flora. They are found in foods like whole grains, vegetables like onions, zucchini, cauliflower, and in fruits like bananas and plums.
It is also worth mentioning that there are numerous medical conditions that are related to changes in the mood, as is the case of irritable bowel syndrome and chronic fatigue syndromeas they relate to changes in the gut microbiota. At the same time, there are studies that show that there is a high incidence that relates to psychological disorders with a possible dysregulation of the microbiota. The explanation is quite simple: the bacteria found in our intestines are involved in the production of neurotransmitters and neuromodulators, it is impressive to know that 95% of the body’s serotonin is concentrated precisely in the intestines.
When we seek the correct intake of probiotics as part of a daily eating habit, great benefits are noted in patients with mental or emotional disturbances. This is directly related to your benefits for increase serotonin production, which is the hormone that governs mood and what is related to anxiolytic and antidepressant effects.
Psychobiotic foods, to balance the intestinal flora
It is true that not all probiotic and prebiotic foods they act the same way. There are some that are related to greater and stronger psychobiotic effects, we present you the list of the best recommendations.
- Apples, bananas, and raisins: According to a study released by the Yale university These three food groups are associated with a positive increase in lactic acid flora.
- Kefir: It is one of the most popular fermented products and it is important to mention that it is not just any type of yogurt. Provides bacteria called Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens, which have the peculiarity of increase tryptophan and serotonin levels, neurotransmitters of well-being.
- Turmeric: Not in vain is it considered one of the spices with greater medicinal potential, relates to antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. However, it is also related to great effects to improve intestinal health, this is due to its cleansing properties that favor the elimination of toxins and waste.
- Whole grains: They are indispensable in a good gut health and a strong microbiotaThis is due to its contribution in fiber, a substance responsible for nourishing the flora.
- Kombucha: In recent months, kombucha has become one of the medicinal allies most popular, this is because it is obtained from the fermentation of a fungus called Gluconacetobacter xylinus containing a probiotic strain. Intervenes in a positive way increasing the production of enzymes and amino acids, which benefit the entire nervous system and increase production of serotonin.