Doctors have warned people Stay away from the latest social media trend as it poses a health hazard.
The so-called “sleeping chicken” trend (or sleepy) urges users to make their own chicken dish mixed with a cold and flu remedy.
Users refer to the recipe as ‘Nyquil chicken’ or ‘sleeping chicken’.
Doctors have warned against boiling your chicken and any other food with a cold and flu remedy product.
Several videos on TikTok show people preparing the ‘dish’, with some using about half a bottle of the drug to prepare it.
While most people generally take medications or foods with supplements, this tendency causes food to become soaked in solution.
Speaking to The Sun newspaper, Dr. Jeff Foster said that social media should never be used as a source of medical information.
“It tends to bring out the worst in some cases, hence the Darwinian approach of anti-vaxers who get their medical ‘research’ from sources like Facebook and Instagram,” Foster noted.
“The case of chicken Nyquil is no different. The idea of saturating any food product in a drug in the belief that it will provide some novel health benefit or cure is not only stupid, but incredibly dangerous.”
Physician and clinical assistant professor of family medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University, Dr. Aaron Hartman, explained why the trend is dangerous.
“When you cook cough medicine like NyQuil, you boil the water and alcohol, leaving the chicken saturated with a super-concentrated amount of drugs in the meat.
“If I were to eat one of those pieces fully cooked, it would be like I was consuming a quarter to a half of a bottle of NyQuil,” he told MIC.com.
Some of the videos online show people boiling raw chicken in the medicine for just five minutes before serving it ‘ready to eat’.
Dr. Hartman explained that this could actually lead to food poisoning, which will likely lead to illness and diarrhea.
He also explained that another big risk with cooking your chicken in medicine is the fact that you are inhaling the medicine, as well as eating it.
“Inhaled, these drugs also enter the bloodstream very quickly and bypass the liver for detoxification. The effects can be pretty bad depending on how much you inhale,” he added.
“We have doses of medication for a reason. If you soak a food in it and then cook it, there’s a good chance you’re overdosing or at least have no idea what dose you’re getting,” Foster said.
“By taking more than you should, you put yourself at real risk of acute liver poisoning, as well as dizziness, vomiting, seizures, and death.
“By cooking the food, you remove the water and any other liquid that is in there that gives an idea of the dose, so you just get a super concentrated dose.
“You would never dream of taking an entire box of paracetamol in one sitting and yet there is very little difference. The security risk is incredibly high.”
Medications like NyQuil contain a range of ingredients that combine to help you sleep properly, while alleviating cold symptoms.
The medicine contains acetaminophen, as well as antihistamines and decongestants.
It also contains dextromethorphan, which is a cough suppressant that can affect parts of the brain, which in turn helps reduce the urge to cough.
Dextromethorphan has previously been used, off-label, by recreational drug users.
It can cause both physical and psychological effects and, in extreme cases, can lead to liver failure.
* Future bride intentionally tries to catch Covid in a nightclub so it doesn’t ruin her wedding
* Former Macy’s employee made $40,000 by using his employee discount to buy items and resell them, but was fired
*Sorry, but experts say you shouldn’t use earwax removal kits in your ears