Every year in Garden parties in royal residences, such as the Buckingham Palace and the Holyroodhouse palace, more than 27 thousand cups of coffee, 20 thousand sandwiches, and 20 thousand slices of cake are consumed. Imagine!
On May 19, the traditional festival would have been celebrated, however, due to the current situation due to the coronavirus pandemic, it has been canceled to reorganize it in 2021.
That is why and to raise spirits, real pastry chefs happily share their recipe for fruit scones they are traditionally served at Buckingham Palace every summer.
You will surely love them to accompany tea or coffee.
Fruit Scones Recipe
- 500g plain flour
- 28g baking powder
- 94g butter
- 86g of sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 140 ml buttermilk (buttermilk)
- 100 g raisins Sultanas – Optional (you can cover with hot water and soak for 30 minutes)
Step By Step Preparation:
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Mix the flour, baking powder, butter, and sugar in a bowl until a crumb form.
- In a separate container, mix the eggs and buttermilk.
- Add the liquid to the crumb mixture.
- Continue mixing the dough until smooth.
- Add the sultanas if you decide to use them and mix them until they are evenly distributed.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, flatten the dough, and cover.
- Let it rest for approximately 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 2.5 cm and cut into the desired shape.
- Let the buns sit for another 20 minutes.
- Varnish the top of the buns with egg.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Let cool
- Serve with jam and coagulated cream (traditional English cream)
And if you want to see the procedure of the fruit scones of the ‘Garden Parties’ of Buckingham Palace.