No need to tell you again, but TikTok is the social network that is on the rise at the moment, and not only with a young audience! Are you a company or a community manager and you want to get the most out of this social network for sharing short videos? Want to get more followers on your TikTok account by following simple but actionable tips? this article should interest you!
Why invest time on TikTok to gain subscribers?
Here are some figures on TikTok who should you decide if they haven’t already:
- Before the ban went into effect in India, TikTok had exceeded 800 million monthly active users outside of China.
- In France, 14.9 million French people used TikTok each month (July 2020), picture what this looks like now …
- The TikTok app has been downloaded over two billion times around the world.
- TikTok generated 80% more downloads in the first two quarters of 2020 (615 million) compared to the first and second quarters of 2019 (343 million).
- In June 2020, TikTok broke records and topped the quarter with 25 million downloads in the US.
- 13% of the population aged 13 and over use TikTok every month.
- 46% of TikTok users are women (54% are men).
- The United States is home to 59% of the top TikTok influencers.
- Only 6% of TikTok’s $ 90.7 million in revenue comes from the United States.
- 83% of TikTok users have posted at least one video.
- An active user opens the TikTok app an average of eight times per day.
- Currently, TikTok ads are available for these countries: United States, Australia, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Italy, Korea, Russia, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Egypt, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Arab Emirates United, Israel, and Singapore.
- The minimum budget for a TikTok ad campaign is $ 50 and $ 20 for an ad group.
Understand how the TikTok algorithm works to gain more followers
Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin and YouTube have their own algorithms. TikTok too.
If you want succeed on TikTok and even why not become an influencer on TikTok, you must understand how the application works and its algorithm which manages the ranking of videos.
Here are the basics of TikTok’s algorithm:
- When a video is uploaded and uploaded to its app, TikTok will randomly show it to 100-500 users between popular videos.. At this stage, it may be people who are already following the account but also other people who may like this video depending on their behavior on previously viewed videos. To select which people TikTok will show this new video to, the social network determines which users might be more likely to engage with the video.
- The algorithm then measures the amount of video actually watched and the number of likes, comments, shares and downloads it receives.. Once the video is viewed, TikTok’s Algo will measure how many people are following the creator or using the audio from the video to create a new one.
- The algorithm will then use the engagement velocity to assign a visibility score to the video. If the video receives around 20% more likes in a single day or if the completion rate (the percentage of video watched) is over 60%, then it will be shown to more people. In other words, the video will be recommended on the “For You” page to other potential followers. Conversely, if the engagement rate is low, the video will be shown to only a few other users and therefore its organic reach will be limited.
Beyond these 3 key points which summarize the main functioning of the agorithm, TikTok takes into account the following elements to identify the types of videos that its users want to see:
- The type of device used by the Internet user, his or her language preference and the negative feedback he or she has had on a video.
- If the users are in the same country as the creator who posted the video.
- The songs, hashtags and captions of the video. The algorithm examines these elements to categorize the videos and then recommends more similar videos. This is why your “For You” page may include videos that have been created with the same sounds as others that you may have seen previously.
PS: it is important to specify that if you already have a lot of followers on TikTok, your video can still get a lot of views and thus generate a lot of new subscribers without taking into account the other criteria above.
Our Top 10 Tips for Getting More Followers on TikTok and Getting Known (With a Little Work)
More video views = more subscribers, this is the basic principle of TikTok.
The more views your video has, the more likely it will be displayed on the TikTok users’ For You page, the more likely you are to get followers on your account.
Here are our 10 free tips to get as many followers as possible on TikTok.
1- Personalize and optimize your profile picture
TikTok videos are sometimes raw and genuine. So make sure your profile is consistent with your videos.
If you share cooking recipes, it should show just in your profile picture. If you’re a DIY influencer, the same.
You don’t necessarily need to put your photo forward, it can be a photo taken from a royalty-free image bank or simply your company logo if it is known.
2- Customize and optimize your TikTok bio
Just like an Instagram bio, an optimized TikTok bio is very important in converting account visitors to followers.
To optimize it, we advise you to present the content that you share on your TikTok account and to add some emoticons to illustrate your account and make it a little more attractive.
You can also add some relevant hashtags with your account.
You have a total of 80 characters to express yourself so take advantage.
You can also redirect visitors to your website if you have one even if the link will not be active. If you are active on Instagram and YouTube, you can also add your accounts to your TikTok.
3- Find your niche and stay focused on it
A niche is nothing more than an industry.
You can sure do like most TikTok users who follow trends and create the same as most people and get views and followers like that.
But if you want to differentiate yourself from other TikTok creators and create your own community, you have to find your niche and stick to it.
It can be an account on sharing vegan cooking recipes, an account on sharing web marketing tips, an account on sharing advice to optimize your visibility on TikTok (why not). There are hundreds of niche ideas that may be of interest to TikTok users.
Your niche can be any, but we strongly recommend that you choose a niche that you are passionate about (when you have the choice). If you work for a company and are in charge of developing its notoriety on TikTok, you will have no choice but to adapt to its niche but nothing prevents choosing a differentiating angle in which you will have fun at create videos.
4- Post videos every day, if you can
Even if your first videos won’t reach many people.
Whether it’s on YouTube, Instagram, a blog or any other social network, if you’re new to and want to get more views, more readers and more subscribers, you have to post a lot and post regularly.
The same rule applies to TikTok.
If you want your videos to go viral on this platform, you’re going to have to be regular.
Remember: when people like your videos, they want to see more. Don’t let them wait for you, because videos from other creators can quickly distract your followers from your videos.
5- Use hashtags wisely
Using hashtags does not guarantee your video a place on users’ “For You” page.
But according to some marketing experts on TikTok, if posts include at least one of these #fyp, #foryou, #pourtoi, or #foryoupage hashtags in their captions, they’re more likely to appear on more “For You” pages.
6- Rides on trends
The “for you” page displays trending videos.
Analyze them and use them to find out what TikTok users are currently looking for.
Pay attention to them and capitalize on them.
Screenshot showing trending videos on TikTok
If ten different videos use the same song, that means people like it, and there’s a trend going on.
You don’t need to create the same videos. Find out what works from these videos, get creative and create your own masterpiece.
7- Offer something unique to your subscribers
In addition to following the trends, you should try to produce differentiating videos that people have never seen before.
This will help you establish your account personality and set you apart from the crowd.
8- Interact with the TikTok videos you like
Your comments on other videos can promote your TikTok profile and help you gain visibility and therefore potential subscribers.
A good start is to engage with influencer videos in your topic.
Follow them, share / comment / like their videos and interact with their followers.
This will help you get people to watch your videos and check out your profile.
9- Redirect subscribers from other social accounts
If you already have an active Instagram, Facebook, Linkedin, or YouTube account with many followers, letting your followers know that you have a new TikTok account is a good way to start.
You can also do the same with your website or newsletter by redirecting traffic to your TikTok.
Since they already follow you on other social networks, they probably won’t hesitate to follow you on TikTok as well.
10- Advertise on TikTok
If you want to quickly reach a large number of subscribers, you can try your hand at TikTok ads.
Currently, TikTok offers five types of ads:
- In-Feed Ads : TikTok video that appears in a user’s feed, between organic videos.
- Brand takeover : These full screen ads are displayed when a user opens TikTok for the first time.
- TopView : A sponsored profile is displayed when a user opens their TikTok app. This is a version of the brand takeover ad unit that blends into a video ad in the stream.
- Brand hashtag : a sponsored hashtag is placed on the “Discover” page. When a user clicks on this hashtag, they are taken to a TikTok page with the brand logo, a link to the website, a brief description of the challenge, and popular videos using the hashtag.
- Brand effects : brands can design their own personalized filter on the app.
You can learn more about TikTok ads by going here.
Some videos to watch to learn how to gain more followers on TikTok
All these videos are in English but they add a good complement of information to what has been shared in this article so if you are comfortable with the language of Shakespeare, do not hesitate to watch them:
We hope that this article and these tips on how to gain more subscribers on TikTok will have been useful to you.
If this is the case, do not hesitate to share it around you and subscribe to our newsletter to receive our next articles directly by email.
You want to receive our best articles ?