Do you want to install a free online chat module on your website so that Internet users can contact you and ask you all their questions through Facebook Messenger? Paid online chat modules are not right for you and you want to install a simple and effective alternative? The good news, if you have a Facebook page, is that Facebook has developed its own free chat module that any site can install to allow people to contact them. Here is how it works.
For several years now, Facebook has tested and launched in beta version a free chat module to install on websites which allows any Internet user to contact a brand via Facebook Messenger.
Perfectly functional and compatible with all browsers, the Messenger multidevice Customer Chat plugin offers a very good 100% free alternative to the paid online chat services available in the market.
We therefore offer you a summary of the main features offered by Messenger Customer Chat and especially how to install it in a few minutes on any website.
Facebook Messenger online chat plugin: what practical features and possibilities for internet users and webmasters?
Here is an overview of the plugin Messenger Customer Chat when the user has not yet taken any action
For Internet users:
- Multidevice use. Regardless of the device (smartphone, tablet or computer), Internet users can interact with a website via this new free Chat plugin.
- Multidevice conversation history. The conversation history will be kept and accessible from all devices: if a conversation is started on the go from a smartphone and then continues from a computer, the user will keep all of their conversation history with the brand.
- Automatic language detection. The chat plugin automatically detects the user’s language and adapts accordingly.
- A gateway to the Facebook page. By clicking on the “(i)” located at the top right of the conversation, Internet users can decide to:
- deactivate messages: the brand will no longer be able to communicate with the Internet user)
- mute the conversation: brand messages will no longer trigger the sending of notifications
- visit the company’s Facebook page directly.
- display the conversation in the classic Messenger interface.
For brands / webmaster:
- Automatic greeting message. When the user clicks on the “Discuss Now” CTA, it is possible to configure an automatic welcome message which may contain a link, personalization elements, a promo coupon, telephone numbers, etc. (however, they cannot be different from the one configured on the Facebook page)
- Integration of promotional links or coupons in the welcome message. Via the automatic welcome message, it is possible to integrate one (or more) link to redirect Internet users to the best sales of the moment, the last blog article or a limited offer not to be missed for example.
- Customization of the title of the Customer Chat plugin. It is possible to change the title of the chat plugin.
- Color customization. The webmaster can choose the color code (hexadecimal) of the plugin if he does not want to keep the blue of Facebook Messenger.
The process of configuring and installing the Facebook chat module is very quick and easy, it shouldn’t take you more than 30 minutes (unless your developers are not very responsive…).
- 1- Log in as administrator to your Facebook page
- 2- Go to the settings of your “Settings” -> “Messenger Platform” page: https://business.facebook.com/your_namedepage/settings/?tab=messaging&show_cc_dialog=1 (replace “your_namedialog” by your name of page otherwise you will get an error page.
- 3- If you haven’t already, whitelist your domain name:
- 4- Scroll to the ” Customer Chat Plugin “Then click on” Set Up “/” Configuration “
- 5- Start by selecting the default language of the Messenger chat module (if Messenger detects that the Internet user speaks another language, it will adapt automatically)
- 6- Personalize the welcome title of the chat system then click on “Next”.
- 7- Then set the average response time you want to display on your site (can be managed automatically by Messenger or defined by you)
- 8- If you want to customize the color of the chat plugin and not have Messenger blue, retrieve the hexadecimal code of the desired color then modify it at this step before clicking on “Next”.
- 9- If you want to display the same chat plugin on different domains (or subdomains), whitelist the other domains in the step with the code to insert on your site.
- 10- Embed the code provided by Facebook just below the opening tag of all the pages on your site where you want the Messenger chat module to appear (if you are on WordPress, you just need to edit the header.php file to add it to all the pages of your site)
- 11- The Customer Chat will then automatically appear at the bottom right of your website and will be ready to receive the first messages from Internet users. Be careful, however, that the latter does not hide important elements of your website.
If you want to configure an automatic reply or an automatic welcome message, the configuration is done from the settings of your Facebook page and not from the configuration interface of the Messenger chat system. It happens here: https://business.facebook.com/yourrenomdepage/settings/?tab=messaging&show_cc_dialog=1
For less informed users who want to use a plugin (if you are on WordPress), Facebook has developed a plugin dedicated to Customer Chat that you can install in a few clicks on any site.
Need more detailed information on Customer Chat customization options for developers?
To go further, you can consult these two articles from Facebook Developers about the Customer Chat plugin:
PS: if you use Google Tag Manager for the integration of your tracking scripts, the integration of the Messenger chat plugin can also be done via this method which is moreover more recommended.
That’s it for us, it’s your turn to play now.
Do you want to receive our best articles?
By subscribing to the LEPTIDIGITAL newsletter, you confirm that you have read our confidentiality and data processing policy (your email will never be shared and will remain anonymous 😉).