Oil is an essential ingredient in cooking and is characterized by its immense versatility. Know the best recommendations to use it healthily
It is important to ensure good use of the oil we use for frying, consuming it burned is associated with harmful effects on health.
Oil is one of the most fundamental ingredients in the kitchen, it is one of the most popular fat sources and stands out for its cooking qualities and Spice up a long list of dishes. The truth is that there is a great variety of oils, which stand out for their different uses, each one stands out for its great virtues for gastronomy and human consumption.
The main difference between one type of oil and another is related to lipid profile, a concept that refers to the composition of each type of oil; thanks to this, the properties and specific nutritional value depending on the variant. A very important aspect of oil refers to its content of fatty acids, which can be:
- Saturated fats: They stand out for being solid at room temperature and are mainly found in animal fats such as cream, butter, milk, lard, bait, or some types of meat, at the same time are found in some vegetable oils such as coconut and palm. It is very important to consume them with a lot of restraint and caution since in excess they are related to diseases in the heart health and high cholesterol levels.
- Unsaturated fats: They are characterized by being liquid fats at room temperature and are associated with benefits for regulating blood cholesterol. These in turn are classified as Monounsaturated, stand out for the oil variants obtained from the olive grove, and are related to benefits to prevent heart disease. And the fats polyunsaturated, present in seed oils such as sunflower, soybean, corn, or fish which are characterized by their contribution to Omega-3 fatty acids.
Among the most popular uses of oil in the kitchen are the variants that are for frying, popularly known as a frying oil. This type of oil they have given a lot to talk about, one of the main reasons is due to the fact that the harmful effects for the health of reusing them.
The recommendation of various specialists in medicine and nutrition is blunt: they state that it is not advisable to use the oil for frying more than once, once it is heated its structure is altered and the degradation it undergoes gives rise to the appearance of substances toxic to health. It is also important to consider the smoke point of each oil, since when overheated to such a degree of “Produce smoke” means that you are undergoing changes in your physical and chemical structure. This is an aspect that is related to a much darker color, bad odors, and transmits stale flavors in food.
In recent years this popular belief has presented some nuances since there are references that indicate that a good frying oil can be reused two to three times as long as it is cleaned very well between each use and it is also important that it has never exceeded a temperature of 170 ºC. At the same time whenever it is reused its use should be considered in the following days, since as time passes be rancid.
How to clean the oil well?
Cleaning the oil is a basic step to return to use it a maximum of two more times, as long as it is a good oil and of course, it is vital that its previous use has been adequate.
- If you do not have a deep fryer, it is important to have a kitchen thermometer. It is an indispensable tool that will allow us to know precisely the degrees of doneness reached by the oil.
- To clean the oil after using the first step is completely remove impurities, for this, a good recommendation is to discard approximately 25% of the base since it is the area in which we accumulate all the remains cooking. In this way, the use of the remaining 75% will be used, it is worth mentioning that no cleaning is viable when the oil has burned (that is, when it exceeds 170-180ºC). When the limit figure is exceeded the oil should be disposed of automatically.
- A good tip To keep the temperature under control, do a little test when the oil is hot by adding some peel of a vegetable or a pinch of bread. If the oil starts bubbling means that it is at the optimum temperature for frying, the most important thing is to keep these conditions stable.
- After use you will have to wait 3 to 4 hours to what cool down completely, later clean the bottom, strain it and keep it in a glass container with a hermetic lid, it is important to protect it from external agents to enhance its conservation.
Another point of vital relevance lies in choosing a suitable variant of oil suitable for frying, the recommendation is to opt for a combination of 70% high oleic sunflower oil and 30% mild olive oil. While the flavors they bring are important, high oleic oils are characterized by taking much longer to heat/burn and at the same time, they are a good alternative since do not lose their original properties. Some good recommendations are olive oil, coconut, avocado, canola, macadamia nut, and lard.
Remember that consuming burnt oil is a lousy eating habit, which is related to harmful effects on health. Which are due to the presence of toxic aldehydes, which are associated with the appearance of degenerative diseases and certain types of cancer. At the same time, a relevant health measure lies in avoiding the consumption of fried foods, since they are related to a greater risk of developing overweight, obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular conditions.