Update: the public beta is available
Last night Apple released the fourth beta version of its new iPhone operating system, iOS 15.4. New betas are also available for iPadOS 15.4, watchOS 8.5, HomePodOS 15.4 and tvOS 15.4.
The following changes have been detected in iOS 15.4 beta 4:
- Siri: new American English voice option named Quinn. Brings total US English voices to 5 for Apple Voice Assistant
- Air Tag: to fight against the misuse of AirTag object sensors, and in particular the monitoring of people, Apple has introduced various new features already presented a few weeks ago, including an anti-harassment alert on first ignition and a new alert function and location of an AirTag that is potentially following us
- HomePodOS: support for up to 6 different users for voice commands in Italian and Indian
See what’s new in video:
The upcoming iOS 15.4 release is expected to bring many other new features, as our list of changes already detected in previous OS test iterations shows:
- Vaccination certificate and Wallet: Wallet (Cartes app) and Health natively support European vaccination certificates
- System update via 4G: if it was already possible to perform iOS updates via 5G on iPhone 12 and later models, it is possible under iOS 15.4 to do the same via the 4G cellular internet connection from any iPhone (iOS 15 compatible )
- Keychain Access: Apple Password Book changes with iOS 15.4 beta 3 and latest macOS 12.3. It can no longer save password entries without an associated username
—Ryan Jones (@rjonesy) February 16, 2022
- Emergency calls: when starting an iPhone for the first time, the emergency call functionality is presented with an invitation to check the corresponding settings, including choice of contact for the emergency call
- Apple Podcasts: addition of filters to better navigate among the episodes and podcasts followed
- Tap to Pay: new tools available for developers to take advantage of a notable new feature. It’s about being able to transform the iPhone into a contactless payment terminal. Your iPhone will soon be able to be used to make you pay by credit card for example. A useful feature for professionals, self-employed in particular, but also small businesses and self-employed beginners
- Driver’s license and identity card in Maps: some lines of the iOS 15.4 beta 2 source code mention the possibility of integrating the driver’s license and the ID card in the Maps application (in the United States in the first place). This is a novelty presented during the introduction of iOS 15 in 2021, announced for 2022, but still not available on iPhone
- Fixed an important privacy bug: Apple has permanently fixed a security flaw that allowed the company’s servers to receive audio recordings from Siri and Dictation, even if the user did not allow the information to be shared
- Apple TV and Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi hotspot connections made easier with iPhone. The latter can manage the access configuration maneuver before handing over to Apple TV once the internet connection has been established
- AppleTV: choice of what appears in the section To be continued
- Notes: customization of left or right swipe gestures to create a quick note or take a screenshot, for example
- iPhone 13 Pro: access to 120 Hz is now more open to third-party developers
- Resale: Apple seems to prepare a tool to scan iPhones for trade-inas noticed in the code of this beta
- Face ID: can now unlock even while wearing a mask or glasses, with two options that are offered to the user (classic Face ID unlock or unlock with mask)
- Universal command : the Universal Control tool is finally operational
- iCloud Keychain : adding notes to your passwords
- Keyboard : possibility to add a shortcut to change the brightness of your keyboard for iPad (Magic Keyboard) within the Control Center
- emojis : 37 additional emoticons, also available on watchOS 8.5 and other new iPad OS and Apple TV
- SharePlay : now accessible directly from Apple Music
- AppleCard : new widget showing balance and expenses
- Maps : integration of vaccination certificates for COVID-19
- Shortcuts : enable or disable the notification that appears when a custom automation triggers
- Email: add custom domains from the iPhone (accessible to subscribers of the paid iCloud+ service)
- Promotion: possibility to enjoy it from all the applications on the iPhone that allow it
- Third-party controllers: management of the adaptive triggers of Sony’s DualSense PS5 gamepads
How to install a public beta?
In this previous article announcing the release of the first public beta of iOS 14, we let’s detail the procedure to follow to install a public beta version of iOS. Do not hesitate to refer to it if you want to become a tester.
If you noticed any other significant new features when moving from iOS 15.4 beta 3 to 15.4 beta 4, please let us know in the comments to this article!
Don’t miss all our articles about iOS 15.