Adverse weather, low temperatures and car travel are a fatal cocktail. In most of Spain, seeing the roads completely covered in white is quite difficult, but lately there have been surprises. That is why we do not want to miss the opportunity to recommend you how to know the state of the roads.
Today we are going to dedicate a few minutes to color code used by the DGT. This is used to convey to the population whether or not it can circulate, if the port or section is closed or if it should use chains. Knowing the meaning of each level is essential to know the risk that is run when driving on a certain road.
Each tone signifies a different intensity and the need to take a series of particular measures. If you plan to cross mountain passes or cold areas of our geography, it is essential to plan the route in advance. At this time of year it is also necessary go prepared before any unforeseen event. Lest you get stuck on the road …
If the road conditions are bad, what should I bring in the car?
The ideal is to always carry some basic items. The primordials are called common sense and caution, but these two are joined by others recommended by the General Directorate of Traffic:
- Antifreeze liquid
- Spare clothes
- First aid kit
- Spare tire or puncture kit
- Phone with battery and charger /power bank
- Window scraper
- Battery clips
- Exterior car cover
- Water and food
The luminous signs on the road indicate the situation of the asphalt. In secondary roads, it is necessary to be attentive to the information offered by the DGT through other channels such as radio or the Internet.
To find out what the state of the roads is, just visit the official website of the General Directorate of Traffic. It shows the affected roads and what the alert level is. It also informs about the necessary measures to take into account.
When one of the levels to indicate the status of carts is approved, it is essential follow the indications that the legislation marks. You should know that, otherwise, you can be sanctioned. Or even worse, you can have an accident.
If you get stuck on the road, try not to obstruct the work of snow plows and rescue operations. To do this, park as far as possible on the edge. If you are driving on a multi-lane road, always avoid the ones on the left.
State of the roads: the ‘colors of the snow’
Green level: the best state of the roads
It is the first level of risk and activates when it starts to snow. The General Directorate of Traffic uses it to indicate that the state of the roads is beginning to present some difficulty that, despite not excessively affecting the normal development of traffic, is worth taking into account. With this level active:
- The speed is limited in these cases to 100 km / h on highways and expressways.
- The speed is limited in these cases to 80 km / h on conventional roads.
- Trucks must travel in the right lane and cannot pass.
- It is recommended to avoid ports, exercise caution and pay special attention to weather reports.
The yellow level is activated when the asphalt is partially covered with snow, which means that the state of the road may pose a greater risk to drivers. With this level active:
- The circulation of trucks and articulated vehicles is prohibited.
- Cars and buses cannot exceed a maximum speed of 60 km / h.
- It is recommended to avoid sudden maneuvers and, in case of finding ourselves on a curve or on a downhill road, slow down even more because of the danger of the car skidding.
The third level comes into operation when the state of the cart poses serious danger for being totally covered with snow. With this level active:
- The prohibition of circulating articulated vehicles and trucks is maintained.
- Buses are prohibited from circulating.
- To the rest of the vehicles it is recommended not to circulate.
- You should not pass immobilized vehicles if you do not have the security of being able to continue your journey.
- It can only be circulated with chains or winter tires (You can be fined otherwise), all at a maximum speed of 30 km / h.
Black level: very poor road condition
The last level is not very frequent in our geography, since it is used only when a lot of snow and ice accumulates on the road. However, this winter it is showing itself more often than usual. With this level active:
- Circulation is prohibited for all types of cars due to the high risk of being immobilized or isolated.
- It is recommended stop in the right lane, keep the engine running to use the heating and do not get out of the car if there is no shelter nearby.