At the same time as iOS 15.2 and iPadOS 15.2, Apple has just deployed macOS 12.1 “RC”, for release candidate. As its name suggests, this version is the one that precedes the publication online for the general public soon. Until then, however, only developers are entitled to it. It must be said that several bugs are still in the game, so you better know what to expect.
Note: tvOS 15.2 (version number: 19K5050a) is also out, but without noticeable improvement it seems. Perhaps the first tests will tell us more about it soon; we stay alert.
New features in macOS 12.1 RC
- App Store : “StoreKit APIs that present a refund request sheet can be tested with StoreKit Testing in Xcode“
- External monitors : compatibility with AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT graphics card
- Mail : iCloud + plan subscribers can hide their address with the option Hide My Email
- Notes and reminders : mass modification and deletion of tags
Nothing about Universal Control though, despite being one of Monterey’s most anticipated options.
To learn more, check out our full list of what’s new with macOS Monterey.
Apple also specifies that technical problems have been resolved on the side of SwiftUI. Incidents also disappeared on the side of MagSafe charging on the 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro and playing HDR videos on YouTube on the same lineup.
Other solutions have been implemented by the publisher with macOS Monterey 12.1 RC, putting an end to:
- the screensaver that does not display the desired Photos
- a touchpad malfunction, not responding to taps or clicks
- some external monitors that do not charge MacBook Pro or MacBook Air while connected via Thunderbolt or USB-C
- notch related issues on 2021 MacBook Pros (menu bar options disappeared)
How to install this beta?
Only members of the Apple Developer Program can install RCs. For the others, it will be necessary to wait a few more days and opt for this procedure.
If everything goes as planned and Cupertino does not deviate from its habits, macOS Monterey 15.1 should arrive on the MacBooks of French individuals during the month of December.