Today, more than ever, we must be aware of the importance of taking care of our planet every day, since it is our home and we must seek that the environmental impact that we cause is as little as possible.
Many times we are overwhelmed by the damage we have caused to Earth and we don’t know how to start. That is why we share small changes that can be made from the kitchen, which were provided by the expert in zero waste cooking Sofia Toraño creator of Alcachofffa.
Here, a series of super-powerful tips to improve our habits and do our bit from home.
Zero waste in your kitchen!
1. Face your trash: Check what you are throwing away, what is more, abundant in that bag, and think about why you threw it away. These actions will make you more aware of the amount of food you waste.
2. Register what you have: Having a kind of “menu” with what is inside the refrigerator, prevents you from forgetting the food hidden in it. That way, when you’re hungry, you’ll know what to turn to.
3. Use everything: We have a habit of throwing food when it doesn’t look “perfect” and it dents or rusts a bit. The good news is that the stems or shells can be used for all the nutrients they offer. Give them a second chance and start including them in your dishes, you will be surprised!
4. Let’s always use what is about to expire: Let’s make delicious food with the leftovers from the previous day, everything is more redeemable than we think. Let’s be creative and responsible before shooting.
To get you started with these tips, we share 3 delicious and simple recipes that you can make from home with ingredients that you will surely have in the refrigerator. Use that wrinkled apple to turn it into a delicious pie in minutes.
Start from the kitchen!
BANANA AND AVOCADO DRINK
There are several options that allow us to stay healthy while protecting the environment. One of the most effective ways is by increasing our daily consumption of fruits and vegetables. If you are one of the people who believe that these foods can be boring or you just have a hard time including them in your diet, we invite you to prepare the following smoothie banana and avocado. If you do not have much time, do not worry because you will have it ready in maximum of 5 minutes, there are no excuses!
– ¾ cup (180 ml) of milk
– 2 bananas, peeled and cut in half
– ½ avocado
– 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
– 1 cup (130 g) of ice cubes
1. Pour all the ingredients into the glass of the Vitamix blender in the order indicated and close the lid tightly.
2. Select speed 1.
3. Turn on the blender and gradually increase the speed to 10 and then to a high level.
4. Blend for 30 seconds or until you acquire the desired consistency.
ROASTED CAULIFLOWER WITH YELLOW LEMON AND PARSLEY DRESSING
It is common that in the middle of the afternoon we crave different foods to snack on, whether sweet or salty. Why not prepare them yourself? Here is this roasted cauliflower recipe as a great snack or garnish option for your main dishes. You will love the acidic flavor of its dressing! Don’t forget to take advantage of all the cauliflower, remember that even the stems are full of flavor.
– 1/4 kg of cauliflower, chopped
– ½ cup (120 ml) of olive oil
– 2 cups (40 g) of washed and drained Italian parsley leaves (about 1 bunch)
– 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
– ¼ cup (60 ml) of yellow lemon juice
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 220 ° C.
2. Mix the cauliflower with 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Place on an aluminum tray and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve.
3. Pour the rest of the olive oil, parsley, zest, and lemon juice into the
glass of the Vitamix blender in the order indicated and close the lid tightly.
4. Select speed 8.
5. Press the on / off switch 6-8 times.
6. Pour over the cauliflower, incorporate and serve.
Now that we have more free time in our homes, it’s time to test our culinary skills by experimenting with new flavors. Check all kinds of food that you have in your refrigerator and think about how else you can prepare them to create new experiences. Here we leave you one of Alcachofffa’s favorite recipes to take advantage of the apples and bananas you could find out there.
– 188 grams (¾ cup) of almond or peanut butter
– 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
– ½ cup (113 g) of maple syrup
1. In a saucepan, add all ingredients to medium-low heat. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until you get a caramel that is the color of dark maple syrup.
– 2 apples in large cubes
– 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
– 1 teaspoon of cardamom
– 1 teaspoon of sea salt
– ¾ cup oatmeal
– ¼ cup of almonds
– 3 tablespoons of almond or peanut butter
– 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
1. Pour the caramel into a bowl with the apples in large cubes, add the cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and sea salt. Mix well.
2. Pour this mixture into a baking pan.
3. For coverage, add the oatmeal, almonds, almond or peanut butter, and maple syrup to your Vitamix blender glass. Close the lid tightly.
4. Select speed 1.
5. Start the machine and gradually increase the speed to 10, and then
up to a high level.
6. Blend for 30 seconds. Turn off the machine.
7. Pour the topping into the pan with the apples.
8. Bake at 180 degrees until the topping is golden brown.
9. Serve with the banana snow.
– ½ cup (100 g) of granulated sugar
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
– 1½ cups (210 g) of ice cubes
– 5 bananas, peeled, frozen, and halved
1. Put all the ingredients in the glass of the Vitamix blender in the order indicated and close the lid tightly.
2. Select speed 1.
3. Turn on the blender and gradually increase the speed to 10 and then to a high level. Use the push bar to direct the ingredients towards the blades.
4. In about 30-60 seconds, the sound of the engine will change and four clusters should form in the mix.
5. Stop the blender. Don’t over mix or it will melt. Serve immediately.