Tortillas are a worthy emblem of Mexico, are part of the basic basket and are the perfect accompaniment to all meals. Not only are they delicious, they are healthy and an extraordinary source of energy, you know their long list of benefits
Photo: Martin Diaz / Pixabay
The tortilla It is one of the most representative foods of the immense gastronomic wealth of Mexico. It is considered one of the most basic products in the diet of the Mexican people and it is a reflection of a great cultural legacy.
Corn tortillas They have been an important part of food in Mexico since pre-Hispanic times, this is because corn was considered a essential product in the diet of pre-Columbian cultures. Such was the popularity of corn that it became one of the most revered foods by Mexican peoples and that is why they also emerged all kinds of legends around its consumption. Although the origin of the tortillas is certainly not known, there are references that indicate that were created in Tlaxcala Since Nahuatl this region is called Tlaxcalli Tlán what does it mean “Omelette place.”
It’s normal that according to the region of the Mexican Republic and according to its dialects tortillas are named in different ways, the truth is that it is a complete and nutritious food that is consumed today from the north to the south of the country. Tortillas have the genius of be able to elaborate with more than 20 different species of corn, so it is very common to find variants ranging from the white, yellow and even blue. It is also usual to find them in different sizes and presentations, as is the case of the traditional tlayudas from Oaxaca waves famous blue tortillas originating from Mexico state.
About the process to obtain the tortillas:
The process of making tortillas it’s a great tradition it’s a ancient technique which is called nixtamalization. Basically it consists of shelling the corn, cook the grains in lime water, once the beans become soft they are removed from the heat and left stand for 12 hours. Later the corn is ground and the result is a very manageable dough from which tortillas are obtained.
The nixtamalization process not only is it key to making tortillas, Is associated with great benefits among which stand out the advantages offered by the soaking of corn grains in lime. This step is very important since grains absorb calcium, this increases the essential amino acid balance and the nutritional value to protein, this makes other nutrients that it contains easier to assimilate, such as calcium, fiber and phosphorous.
The nutritional power of corn tortillas:
Between the great qualities of the omelette is distinguished by being a complete food, full of nutrients and thanks to your contribution in slow absorbing carbohydrates they are a wonderful source of energy. Tortillas are low in calories and high in nutrients, a piece of 30 grams provides the following nutritional values:
- 64 calories
- 1.4 grams of vegetable protein
- 0.5 grams fat
- 13.6 grams carbohydrates
- 0.6 grams fiber
Additionally, the corn tortilla is a extraordinary source of important essential nutrients for the organism, among which its contribution in niacin, vitamins A, E, B1 and B2 and also a great mineral wealth in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium.
The medicinal benefits of tortillas:
- Tortillas are a complete food, your contribution in slow absorbing carbohydrates it is necessary to have good glycogen stores and it is a good ally to keep in good balance the glucose levels in the blood.
- Its high contribution in calcium is a great ally for improve and strengthen bone health at all levels. Its consumption is related to benefits to strengthen bones and teeth, they are ideal to combat osteoporosis.
- They are a low fat and low calorie food, ideal for lose weight in a healthy and balanced way.
- They stand out for its beta-carotene content substances that play an important role in combating free radicals.
- Thanks to its carbohydrate and nutrient content They are a food full of energy, which improves the physical and mental performance. They are a great complement to combat tiredness and fatigue.
- Tortillas are rich in niaciana and therefore they are a great ally to keep the skin in good condition and benefit the nervous system.
- its extraordinary contribution in folic acid makes them a perfect food for pregnant women and at the same time improves the health of nails and hair.
- They’re a magnificent source of fiber reason why its consumption improves significantly intestinal digestion and health.