Overweight and obesity are associated with an increased risk of diseases, including cancer, diabetes, coronary heart disease, liver disease, sleep apnea and respiratory problems, osteoarthritis, or stroke, among others.
To prevent these problems, diet is a key aspect. Here is a list of the best options to include in the diet and achieve or maintain a healthy weight:
Consider the following fruits to add to your diet and thus maintain a healthy weight:
- BlueberriesConsuming its juice regularly was associated with a significant decrease in weight, probably thanks to its rich content of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds.
- Azaí: this berry is rich in antioxidants, so it stimulates the digestive process, helps burn fat that we do not need and stabilizes energy levels and blood sugar. It is also rich in fiber, which increases the feeling of fullness and extends the periods between meals.
- Strawberries: they are rich in water, vitamins and minerals, in addition, their caloric intake is very low. To this are added its diuretic effects, which promote purification, eliminating toxins and preventing fluid retention.
- Pomegranate: known as the “fruit of the gods”, its high levels of polyphenols and antioxidants help accelerate metabolism and decrease fat cells in the stomach.
- Kiwi: it is rich in minerals and vitamins, so its consumption is associated with the correct metabolization of carbohydrates. It also contains fibers that help reduce appetite, improve intestinal transit and add bulk to the stool.
- Apples and pears: they have a lot of water and fiber, which increase satiety, so they are often recommended for weight control. Remember, to take advantage of all its benefits you must eat them with skin.
- Papaya: its properties are due to the presence of papain, an enzyme that favors the combustion of fats, improves the digestion of proteins and regulates metabolism.
- Grapefruit: its consumption is linked to the release of a hormone called cholecystokinin, which is responsible for suppressing hunger, and thus, prevents people from overeating. This process is because grapefruit is rich in fiber.
These vegetables have been associated with a decrease in weight and good digestion:
- Artichoke: it favors the digestion of food, has few calories and promotes the elimination of toxins and liquids, making it a good option to lose weight and burn fat.
- Celery: it is made up of 95% water, is rich in vitamins and minerals, and the medium units (8 inches or 20 centimeters) have only 12 calories.
- Broccoli: it is a good source of fiber that improves intestinal transit and increases satiety, helping to eat less. Its regular consumption is also associated with lower levels of “bad” cholesterol in the blood.
- Spinach: one of its compounds, thylakoid, could calm the appetite and prevent overeating. Spinach also improves intestinal function and provides essential nutrients.
A simple and effective way to keep your weight under control is with infusions. Let’s see which are the best:
- Chamomile tea: it has choline, a nutrient belonging to the B vitamins that helps eliminate “bad” fats.
- Black tea– It tends to have a higher concentration of caffeine than its variants, which is ideal for raising body temperature in a process known as thermogenesis. It triggers reactions in the body that result in fat burning and better nutrient metabolism.
- Oolong tea: This infusion seems to help reduce the layer of subcutaneous fat, in addition to improving digestion thanks to its high content of polyphenols, especially catechins. It is also recommended to lower cholesterol levels.
- Rooibos tea: helps reduce the formation of fat cells, due to the fact that it has polyphenols and flavonoids. It also stimulates the secretion of leptin, a hormone that promotes a feeling of fullness.
- Green Tea: its powerful antioxidants, catechins, would be responsible for increasing basal metabolism, favoring energy expenditure. This leads to faster weight loss and accelerates the removal of fatty deposits.
Ideal to complement dishes and enhance flavors, do not hesitate to incorporate the following herbs to achieve a healthy weight:
- Alfalfa: its purifying properties make it an ideal plant to include in the diet, and thus detoxify your body and lose weight. Its high enzyme content favors the digestive process and allows a better assimilation of fats.
- Algae: contain significant levels of iodine, a mineral that promotes fat burning. In addition, they have few calories, no fat and are rich in fiber, which is why they are considered effective options for weight loss.
- BaobabAlthough the evidence is preliminary, its extract appears to be useful for weight control. According to the researchers, this is possible thanks to the fact that it is made up of fiber, which slows the emptying of the stomach and extends the feeling of satiety.
- Coriander: it is a good digestive and helps control weight. It has also been linked to diuretic effects, ideal for preventing fluid retention and eliminating toxins.
- Garcinia gummi-gutta: it is rich in hydroxycitric acid, one of the most powerful natural “fat burners”. This is due to the fact that it influences metabolism by slowing down the production of fat, providing satiety and inhibiting food intake.
- Fennel: in addition to essential vitamins and minerals, it provides small amounts of flavanols and dietary fiber, which is useful to increase the feeling of satiety and facilitate weight control.
- Parsley: It is traditionally used as a diuretic. It is also used because it is rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other compounds that make it have cleansing, satiating and slimming properties.
You can consult a health professional for a diagnosis and advice on dietary supplements. These are the most common:
- Hydroxycut: It is one of the most popular and used weight loss supplements. Its effects are linked to the contributions of caffeine, which improve attention, increase energy and achieve greater performance. However, those doses of caffeine can be counterproductive.
- Glucomannan: it is a type of fiber obtained from the roots of elephant yam (Paeoniifolius of Amorphophallus). It is useful for weight loss as it absorbs water and becomes like a gel that “settles” in the intestine, promoting a feeling of fullness. This helps reduce caloric intake.
- Meratrim: it is one of the newest options on the market. Combining the extracts of two plants (Sphaeranthus indicus and Garcinia mangostana), it hinders the multiplication of fat cells and reduces their absorption into the bloodstream.
Important– These products should only be consumed under the advice and supervision of a healthcare professional.
Although detailed fruits, vegetables, herbal teas, and supplements are helpful in helping you lose weight, simply consuming them will not guarantee magical results.
To achieve or maintain a healthy weight you must consume them as part of a balanced diet while supplementing that good diet with other healthy habits, such as:
- Exercise frequently.
- Sleep well and at regular times.
- Control portion sizes.
- Visit the doctor often.
Being overweight or obese carries an increased risk for many diseases, conditions, and health disorders. To prevent them, diet is a key factor.
Specialists advise including many vegetables, such as artichokes, broccoli or celery, fruits, such as strawberries, grapefruit or apples, herbs such as coriander, parsley or fennel, and even infusions, such as black, green or chamomile tea.
In specific cases, specialists can make a diagnosis and advise certain dietary supplements, such as Hydroxycut, Glucomannan or Meratrim.
Sources consulted: Comprehensive Natural Medicines Database, US National Library of Medicine, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mayo Clinic, Harvard University School of Medicine, National Institute of Complementary and Alternative Medicine.