Here we are, the last Apple Event of the year most likely, the 4th of 2021 by the way. In a pattern to which the Californian giant has accustomed us, it therefore signs with this new October Keynote an end of the year in two stages: end of summer, presentation of the new iPhone and Apple Watch, autumn, presentation of the new Mac.
Still no feedback from the public for this new conference. Apple is persisting in a format it launched last year, you know the reason. The Apple Event of the day is therefore still virtual, made up of a collection of videos recorded in recent weeks in the offices of the Californian.
If we lose this format “live and with the public (and its reactions)”, we have seen, with the previous keynotes, that we gain in efficiency and rhythm. Not everyone is happy with it, but that’s the way it is. The main subject is still the announcements that are made during this time, no matter how ultimately.
And precisely, on this subject, and without further ado, here is our complete summary of the novelties that have been unveiled by Tim Cook and his teams, this evening, during an expected keynote.
The conference begins with a beautiful filmed musical composition, created with several sounds of Apple devices, made in Logic, of course, followed by a Tim Cook introducing everything in the fields around Apple Park.
Without wasting time, the CEO of Apple announces the color for today: place for music and the Mac.
New Apple silicon SoCs: M1 Pro and M1 Max
Here is the new Apple silicon M1 Pro chip:
- Engraving: in 5 nm
- CPU: 10 hearts
- GPU: up to 16 hearts
- RAM: support up to 32 GB
- Bandwidth : 200 Gb / s
- Dedicated additional controllers: including one for the screen, another for the Thunderbolt
Apple also unveiled the M1 Max SoC, a more powerful version of the M1 Pro. We indicate below what changes compared to the M1 Pro component:
- GPU: up to 32 cores (CPU always with 10 cores)
- RAM: support up to 64 GB
- Bandwidth : 400 Gb / s, twice as much as the M1 Pro
Both M1 Pro and M1 Max chips are advertised as very energy efficient. The figures announced seem impressive, but nothing will be worth extensive tests of autonomy and consumption in real conditions.
New 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro
New MacBook Pros join the Apple range. Two machines, 14 and 16 inches, equipped with the new Apple silicon chips.
Features of the new 2021 MacBook Pro
Here are the specifications common to the two new machines:
- Box: design with edges around the screen a little thinner than on the MacBook Pros of 2020. Disappearance of the MacBook Pro logo under the screen, just above the hinge
- Notch: presence of a notch at the top of the screen for the FaceTime camera
- Closed hood thickness: 16.8mm and 15.5mm for 16 and 14 ″ models respectively
- Cooling: new system to limit noise and maximize cooling
- Keyboard : return of physical keys in place of the Touch Bar. The keyboard is also completely black, without a gray case back.
Connections and audio:
- Audio: improved internal microphones. Six speakers and Spatial Audio technology support
- Connectivity: presence of a jack, an HMDI port, a port for SD cards and 3 Thunderbolt ports. Possibility to connect several screens
- Recharge: new magnetic MagSafe connector. Charging still possible via Thunderbolt port. Fast charging support: 50% in 30 minutes
- Screen Size: 16.2 ″ screen diagonal for the 16 ″ MacBook Pro, 14.2 inches for the 14 ″ MacBook Pro
- Screen slab : new mini-LED technology (Liquid Retina XDR), already seen on the latest iPad Pro, with refresh rate up to 120 Hz thanks to ProMotion. The refresh is dynamic and adapts to the content on the screen
Power and storage:
- Processor and RAM: M1 Pro or M1 Max, to be configured at purchase, see previous paragraph for the capacities of each of these two SoCs
- Storage : Even faster SSD, 7.4 Gb / s read, 512 GB in base configuration for the 14 ″ model, 1 TB for the 16 ″ model and up to 8 TB maximum
- Webcam: the webcam goes to a resolution of 1080p (instead of 720 for the previous generations) and benefits from a better lens, but also software improvements
- Autonomy: 17 hours of video playback for the 14 ″ model, 21 hours for the 16 ″ model
The prices of the new 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro
Here are the prices for the basic configurations:
- MacBook Pro 14 ″ with Apple silicon M1 Pro chip, 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB base storage: € 2,249
- MacBook Pro 16 ″ with Apple silicon M1 Pro chip, 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB base storage: € 2,749
The price of the MacBook Pro 13 ″ of 2020 has not changed, it still starts at € 1,449 in basic configuration.
Availability dates for the new 2021 MacBook Pros
Both machines are available now and will be delivered from next week.
Features of AirPods 3
- Design: halfway between AirPods Pro and AirPods 2, with shortened shaft
- Intra-auricular: no
- Resistance: Waterproof AirPods 3 with IPX4 rating
- Audio quality: new next-generation speakers, but also Adaptive EQ from AirPods Pro. The sound is automatically adapted to the frequency level according to the shape of everyone’s ears
- Other : Space audio compatible AirPods 3 with dynamic head tracking
- Box: Offers 4 full charges of AirPods to achieve over 30 hours of listening time
- Autonomy: 6 hours of listening, 5 minutes of charging equals an hour of listening
- Recharge: the box is compatible with wireless charging and MagSafe charging
The price of AirPods 3
- New AirPods 3: € 199
- AirPods 2: remain in range, at 149 €, next to AirPods Pro, but no longer offer a wireless box
- AirPods Pro: remain in range, at € 279
AirPods 3 availability date
- Ordered : right now
- Exit in store and first deliveries: next week
Apple presented Spatial Audio, but also various new music related products. We detail them below.
- Siri: improved Siri for launching Apple Music songs and playlists by voice. For example, you can ask Siri for a playlist for a dinner with friends, or to rest in the evening, or of course to motivate yourself during a sports session.
- Voice plan: new subscription allowing access to Apple Music, simply by voice, via Siri therefore, for only $ 4.99 (most certainly € 4.99 in France). Subscription available this fall in several dozen countries
- New finishes: blue, yellow and orange
These new colors will be available in November, at the same price as the old white and black: € 99.
So what do you say about these novelties? Give us your feelings in the comments!