Craving Mexican food? Enjoy an exquisite light and healthy cochinita pibil, it is very easy to prepare, it is cooked in the oven and it is low in calories and carbohydrates
Mexican gastronomy It is one of the richest in the world, each state that makes up the Mexican republic It is characterized by its incomparable dishes full of unique colors, flavors and smells. The kitchen of the Yucatan Peninsula It is one of the most recognized, largely due to the colonial mix between Hispanic and Mayan culture which is characterized by combination of succulent local ingredients. One of the great characteristics of the Yucatecan food is the predominance of condiments and spices they use to lead to their special seasoning.
The little pig pibil It is one of the most stews iconic of Yucatecan cuisine, It’s about a typical dish which is used as fundamental complement in all kinds of dishes, especially as a filling long list of Mexican snacks.
Traditionally is made with achiote marinated pork wrapped in banana leaf, the most authentic detail consists in its original cooking method with a technique from pre-Hispanic times called pib. Based on this the Mayan word pibil It refers generically to a food that has been prepared in an earth oven, in some regions of Yucatan it continues to be prepared in this way, although currently the most common are baked or steamed preparations.
The truth is the little pig pibil It is a dish that is often considered somewhat heavy, largely due to the use of lard and the characteristic seasonings. The good news is that preparing this delight of mexican dish In a lighter and healthier way, this recipe version stands out for being low in calories, carbohydrates and fats.
Cochinita pibil recipe light and easy:
- 125 ml Orange juice
- 175 ml lemon juice
- 50 grams achiote paste
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. Dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. White vinegar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 kg pork (loin is a great option to shred)
- 3 banana leaves
For the marinated onions:
- two purple onions
- one habanero pepper
- 175 ml lemon juice
- 175 ml Orange juice
Step by Step:
- Preheat the oven to 160º C.
- For the marinade: In the blender glass add the orange juice, lemon juice and achiote paste with the cumin and coriander, process for one minute. Then add the crushed garlic, oregano, white vinegar and salt, liquefy again until a homogeneous mixture.
- In a suitable container, place the piece of pork and pour the achiote sauce. It rests in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish with the banana leaves and place the pork in the center, add the rest of the marinade. Finish by covering the meat with more banana leaves and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 4 hours.
- For the onions: Cut the red onions into thin strips and the diced chili. Place in a glass container and incorporate the orange and lemon juice, dip the onions and chili well in the mixture. Cover the container and rest in the refrigerator.
- When the pork is done, remove the tray from the oven and allow it to cool.. Crumble the meat and mix with the sauce and cooking juices that stayed in the refractory.
- Accompany the meat with the marinated onions. A good tip If you have a craving for tacos, use nopal or flax tortillas.