Savory cakes are an extraordinary option for enjoying the summer days. The truth is that normally we are used to buying the dough, however, it is the Spinach Pie recipe and it’s the perfect hassle-free alternative for home baking.
It is a great option for the days when we have few ingredients at hand or since the dough is made with pantry staples like flour, olive oil, water, and salt. Another genius is his delicious, healthy, and light stuffed with spinach, it is the perfect option for hot days. Best of all, once you learn how to prepare the dough you can create all kinds of cake variants integrating your favorite vegetables or better yet seasonal ones, they will always be the freshest.
Savory cakes will get you out of a lot of trouble since you can integrate them into practically any menu, they are a practical and delicious option for lunches, brunch, lunches, dinners, and picnics. They also have the genius to combine wonderfully with all kinds of salads, vegetarian ceviches, grilled vegetables, and purees.
Spinach Pie Recipe:
Ingredients For The Mass:
- 300 grams of flour
- 100 ml olive oil
- 125 ml of water
- 1 pinch of salt
Ingredients For The Filling:
- 1 white onion
- 100 grams of cream cheese
- 150 grams of mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 package of baby spinach
Step by Step Process:
- To make the pie crust: In a medium bowl place flour and olive oil, mix gently little by little. Add the water little by little and knead with your hands or the help of a spatula, when the flour is completely incorporated, it forms a ball of dough. Pack with plastic film and chill for 30 minutes.
- For the filling: Chop the onion in fine julienne, in a frying pan add a touch of olive oil and sauté until it becomes transparent. Later add the well-washed spinach leaves and allow it to evaporate, you will see how its size is reduced.
- Sauté the filling ingredients well and add the cream cheese allowing it to be fully incorporated. Turn off the heat and reserve until cool.
- To mount: After the dough’s resting time, roll it out with the help of a rolling pin, leaving about 3 mm thick. Cover in the previously greased pie tin, remove the excess dough, and prick the base with the help of a fork (to prevent it from puffing). In the oven preheated to 180ºC bake the base for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Incorporate the egg into the filling mixture, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Final step: Remove the mold from the oven, pour in the filling mixture, and finish with the grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at the same temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.