Last night, the Californian firm presented its new iPhone SE. As explained here, and despite what the rumors announced so far and in particular Mark Gurman, he does not come alongside the older generation, but replaces it.
If its design does not change, inside, the differences compared to the old model are multiple. Apple proudly announced the integration of the new chip A15 Bionic and the appearance of a 5G modem.
Only, there are details that were not mentioned during the Keynote, see instead:
- 5G: the iPhone SE 2022 supports 5G well, but it is not compatible with the millimeter wave (mmWave) version of the technology, unlike the latest iPhone 13. In any case, this is what the technical sheet
- Boosted autonomy: the new iPhone SE benefits from an inflated autonomy compared to the old generation. Apple announces 2 hours more streaming or video playback compared to the 2020 iPhone SE, for a respective total of 15 and 10 hours. In audio streaming or playback, the iPhone SE 2022 can reach 50 hours of autonomy, 10 more than the old model
- Enhanced Photography: the hardware part is the same as on the old model. But thanks to the A15 Bionic chip, the iPhone SE 2022 benefits from numerous photo and video software improvements, including Deep Fusion, Smart HDR 4 and photographic styles technologies. Ditto for the front camera, which also supports slow motion video in 1080p at 120 fps, which is not the case with the camera of the old model.
- Increased storage: the old model offered two options, 64 and 128 GB. The new model offers a third, 256 GB
- Reduced weight: the new iPhone SE 2022 weighs 4 grams less than the old model of 2020, for a total of 144 g
- Resistance and sealing: the iPhone SE 2022 is resistant with an IP67 protection index, like the older generation
- Ceramic Shield: no Ceramic Shield panes to protect the screen and back of the iPhone SE 2022. But according to Apple, the smartphone is protected by the toughest glass panes seen on a smartphone to date
- EarPods: the 2020 iPhone SE contained EarPods in the box when it was released. For this year’s new model, this is obviously not the case. You will only find a Lightning cable accompanying the machine in its box
In the end, the evolution between the two generations of iPhone SE is slight. It is mainly about the contribution of 5G and the change of chip underlying mainly improvements in photo and autonomy.
However, prices have not increased too much from one model to another, fortunately. Count 40 euros more for the iPhone SE 2022, compared to the prices of the old generation when it was released. Here is the price list of the beast:
- 64 GB: 529 €
- 128 GB: 579 €
- 256 GB : 699 €
Pre-orders start this Friday from 2 p.m. and the first deliveries, accompanied by in-store availability, will take place the following Friday.
Find here the summary of the conference, and below, an 8-minute summary video:
What do you think of this new iPhone SE? Give us your impressions in comments.