Adverse weather, low temperatures and car travel are a fatal cocktail. In most of Spain, seeing the roads completely covered in white is quite difficult, but this year the snow has taken over even the capital Madrid. That is why we do not want to miss the opportunity to recommend our string usage tutorial.
Along with this, today we are going to dedicate a few minutes to color code used by the DGT to convey to the population whether or not it can circulate, if the port or section is closed or if it should use chains. Knowing the meaning of each level is essential to know the risk that is run when driving on a certain road.
Each tone signifies a different intensity and the need to take a series of particular measures. If you plan to cross mountain passes or cold areas of our geography, it is essential to plan the route in advance at this time of year and go prepared before any unforeseen event, lest you get stuck on the road …
The ideal is always carry some basic items in the car. The primordials are called common sense and caution, but these two are joined by other recommended ones such as chains, antifreeze liquid, spare clothes, the medicine cabinet, the spare wheel or the anti-puncture kit, the phone with battery and charger /power bank, the window scraper, the battery clips, an outer car cover, a flashlight, sunglasses, sunscreen, alcohol, water, food and cash.
When we drive on a highway or motorway, usually the illuminated signs continuously indicate the situation of the asphalt. If it is a secondary route, it is necessary to be attentive to the information that the DGT offers through other channels such as radio or the Internet.
To find out what the state of the roads is, just visit the official website of the General Directorate of Traffic. It shows the affected roads and what the alert level is, along with the necessary measures to take into account. When one of the levels to indicate the status of carts is approved, it is essential follow the indications that the legislation marks if we don’t want to be sanctioned or, even worse, if we don’t want have an accident.
The ‘colors of snow’ of the DGT
It is the first level of risk and activates when it starts to snow. The General Directorate of Traffic uses it to point out that the state of the roads is beginning to present some difficulty which, despite not excessively affecting the normal development of traffic, is worth taking into account. With this level active:
- The speed is limited in these cases to 100 km / h on highways and expressways.
- The speed is limited in these cases to 80 km / h on conventional roads.
- Trucks must travel in the right lane and cannot pass.
- Avoid ports, exercise caution, and pay special attention to weather reports.
The yellow level is activated when the asphalt is partially covered with snow, which means that the state of the road may pose a greater risk to drivers. With this level active:
- The circulation of trucks and articulated vehicles is prohibited.
- Cars and buses cannot exceed a maximum speed of 60 km / h.
- It is recommended to avoid making sudden maneuvers and, in case of finding us on a curve or on a downhill road, slow down even more because of the danger of the car skidding.
The third level comes into operation when the state of the cart poses serious danger for being totally covered with snow. With this level active:
- The prohibition of circulating articulated vehicles and trucks is maintained.
- Buses are prohibited from circulating.
- To other vehicles it is recommended not to circulate.
- You should not pass immobilized vehicles if you are not sure of being able to continue driving.
- It can only be circulated with chains or winter tires (You can be fined otherwise), all at a maximum speed of 30 km / h.
The last level is not very frequent in our geography, since it is used only when a lot of snow and ice accumulates on the road. However, this winter it is showing itself more often than usual. With this level active:
- Circulation is prohibited for all types of cars due to the high risk of being immobilized or isolated.
- I recommend stop in the right lane, keep the engine running to use the heating and do not get out of the car if there is no shelter nearby.