Sardines take a special role on summer menus, they are the perfect touch of nutrition and flavor with great healing benefits
The sardine it’s a kind of blue Fish available throughout the year. They live in waters from 12 to 24 ºC and belong to the family Clupeidae, which is distinguished by being one of the groups of fish more abundant and distributed throughout the world.
They are distinguished by their powerful nutritional value characteristic of all variants of blue fish. To begin with they are a food rich in proteins of high biological valueThat is to say of excellent quality since they are easily absorbed in the body. Another of his nutritional genius is due to its extraordinary content in Omega-3 fatty acids and that is why they are a great ally to reduce the high levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.
Another advantage of sardines is because they are one of the fish with lower mercury content, that is why they are a food indicated for pregnant women. They are also valued for their contribution in vitamin B6 which is associated with benefits for decrease the risk of heart disease, this is due to its ability to decrease homocysteine levels, an amino acid present in the blood.
Sardines they are also carriers of a immense essential mineral wealth, stand out for their content in selenium, iron and phosphorus, the latter is very important for the proper functioning of the body. Intervenes in the balance of calcium levels, stores energy and improves nerve and muscle function. Also in terms of minerals, sardines are popular for their high magnesium content, which is necessary to make more than 300 biochemical reactions of the body. It is also a great help for the proper functioning of the muscles and nerves.
Without a doubt one of the most great sardine geniuses is in your anti-inflammatory power which is due to its great content in Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Eating sardines is ideal for combat inflammation from wounds or blows and it also helps arreduce chronic inflammation, characteristic of diseases like diabetes or arthritis.
Best of all, sardines are a basic pantry product, they are very accessible and easy to manipulate, pocket friendly and types of dishes. We share two fresh and light recipes with the use of sardinesThey are a great ally to enjoy the summer.
1. Sardine croquettes
- 2 cans of pickled sardines
- 35 grams of butter
- 1/2 piece of white onion
- 25 grams of flour
- 200 ml milk
- 1 beaten egg
- Breadcrumbs for breading
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Step by Step:
- Drain the sardine cans and chop them into small pieces. Proceed to finely chop the onion and reserve.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat add the butter and fry the onion in it, cook until soft and transparent. Add the flour in the form of rain and mix well with the help of a hand mixer, avoiding lumps.
- Add the well-chopped sardines to the mixture and stir.
- Finally add the milk, season with salt and pepper, mix well and cook for a few minutes over medium heat while stirring, the mixture will begin to thicken.
- Place the dough in a deep container and cover with plastic wrap touching the surface so that it does not form a crust. It cools completely.
- With clean hands form the balls, coat in flour, pass through the beaten egg and finish with the breadcrumbs.
- In a saucepan with a certain depth, heat enough olive oil and fry the croquettes.
- Place on a plate with absorbent paper and enjoy them as a delicious starter, they go very well with tomato sauce or some kind of prepared mayonnaise.
2. Pasta with sardines and anchovies
- 250 grams of screw paste
- 1 large can of sardines
- 1 can of anchovies
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
Step by Step:
- Cook the pasta in the usual way in boiling salted water, when it is al dente you must drain it and reserve.
- In a deep container, place the garlic cut into four, the sardines and the anchovies, mash with their original oils until obtaining a paste.
- Add the freshly cooked pasta in a saucepan, add a cup of hot water and the sardine and anchovy paste. Mix well over low heat until ingredients are well incorporated.
- To serve, add a touch of black pepper and basil leaves. A touch of Parmesan cheese is also great.