They are driving us crazy with the increasing number of restrictive measures at local, regional and European level. The bewilderment is total when we ask ourselves what cars can circulate in Madrid or Barcelona. Many users do not know whether to rent a car, buy it, what mobility alternatives there are, where to go…
Currently the electric cars and the plug-in hybrid models They are the great protagonists. They share the limelight due to the interesting purchase aids and, of course, due to the limitations on the movement of the most polluting vehicles in Madrid and Barcelona, among other cities.
However, not all of us can or want to have a vehicle with these characteristics and that is when the million dollar question arrives: What cars cannot circulate in Madrid? Well today we are going to dedicate a few lines to explain what are the current measures that prevent circulation. We will also talk about those that will arrive in the coming years.
Madrid is not synonymous with Central Madrid
We must be clear when talking about prohibitions that the Community of Madrid or the city of Madrid they are not synonymous with Madrid Central. Let us remember that Central Madrid is now called the Special Protection Low Emissions Zone (ZBEDEP) Central District.
It is an area of up to 472 hectares within the capital in which we find circulation limitations for certain types of vehicles. Specifically, all those vehicles (cars and motorcycles) that they do not have an environmental label from the DGT, except for specific exceptions. In this link you have all the information.
The same thing happens in the Low Emissions Zone of Special Protection (ZBEDEP) “Plaza Elíptica”. Vehicles with environmental classification A (without environmental label) are prohibited from accessing and driving inside its perimeter. It also includes the section of the A-42 motorway included within it.
Also considered in this case are certain exceptions. These affect residents, companies and the self-employed, people with reduced mobility, public services… In the link you can consult them on the website of the Madrid City Council.
Let’s remember the rules also for vehicles with stickers:
- Distinctive B: they are allowed access only if they park in a car park.
- Distinctive C: they are allowed free circulation as long as they prove high occupancy -that they carry two or more passengers-. They will only be able to park in car parks.
- The ECO label: It allows you to drive around Madrid Central and park in the SER zone for a maximum of 2 hours, or for an unlimited time in car parks and garages.
- The ZERO emissions badge: It allows circulation and parking without restrictions.
What cars cannot circulate in Madrid
Beyond the Low Emission Zones, the city of Madrid has other restrictions. They apply to polluting vehicles. The entry into 2022 brought with it novelties in the Madrid 360 Plan. This is the case of the ban on cars without an environmental label from the DGT circulate inside the M-30.
From January 1, 2022, all those vehicles without a label cannot pass the M-30. They are diesel registered before 2006 and gasoline before 2000. yes they can walk on it. This prohibition will be extended to different areas of the city as follows:
- January 1 2023 It will be prohibited to access and circulate on the M-30 itself.
- From January 1 2024it will be prohibited to access and circulate throughout the municipality of Madrid.
- January 1 2025 All these vehicles will be excluded from the capital.
The exception are the residents in Madrid and their vehicles domiciled in the city. They must appear on the Madrid City Council’s IVTM register. Vehicles without an environmental label, such as trucks, vans, motorcycles and mopeds, may also do so. In this link you have all the complete information.
What cars can not circulate in Madrid occasionally
The current action protocol of the Madrid City Council to high contamination episodes by nitrogen dioxide is in force since December 10, 2018. It affects the entire municipality of Madrid and restricts circulation to:
- From Scenario 1: Speed reduction to 70 km/h on the M-30 and accesses to the city. 100% surcharge on parking fees in the SER zone.
- In Scenario 2: the foregoing plus the prohibition of circulation inside the M-30 and on the M-30 to vehicles (motorcycles included) that do not have a “ZERO EMISSIONS”, “ECO”, “C” or “B” badge. Prohibition of parking in the spaces and hours of the SER for vehicles that do not have a “ZERO EMISSIONS” or “ECO” sticker.
- From Scenario 3: the foregoing plus the prohibition of circulation in the entire municipal term to vehicles (motorcycles included) that do not have a “ZERO EMISSIONS”, “ECO”, “C” or “B” distinctive.
- From Scenario 4: the foregoing plus the prohibition of circulation inside the M-30 and along the M-30 to motor vehicles (including motorcycles) that do not have the “ZERO EMISSIONS”, “ECO” or “C” badge.
- At Alert Level: the foregoing plus the prohibition of circulation throughout the municipal term to motor vehicles (including motorcycles) that do not have the “ZERO EMISSIONS” or “ECO” sticker. Prohibition of parking in the spaces and hours of the SER for vehicles that do not have a “ZERO EMISSIONS” badge. Prohibition of the circulation of free taxis, except Eurotaxis and vehicles that have the “ZERO EMISSIONS” or “ECO” sticker.