Sausages are one of the most consumed foods in the world. However they are associated with a high content of salt and preservatives, discover the negative effects of their habitual consumption
Sausages are highly processed meat products that stand out for their high content of saturated fat and cholesterol.
Photo: Photo by Edwin Jaulani from Pexels / Pexels
Today follow a healthy, balanced and quality diet seems to be the key closest to the health and longevity. The truth is the food industry It has grown by leaps and bounds and today we have at hand too many options, which mostly stand out for being products that went through some kind of processing.
Among the most consumed commercial products in the world, they are at the top of the list sausages What are they processed meat foods. This type of food has the peculiarity of being products of low cost, very rich and very versatile, can be integrated into all kinds of dishes. For some people they are a basic in your kitchen shopping and they are a good alternative that solves many daily complications, however when consumed in excess relate to serious health conditions.
What are sausages of animal origin?
Is about canned meat which are prepared with trimmings and leftovers from animals rich in fat. The most characteristic thing in their elaboration process is that they are added numerous chemicals with the objective of increase its lifespan and improve its appearanceThey are added so that they always look fresh.
This type of food are increasingly consumed by the world population and that is why the medicine and nutrition specialists have emphasized their negative effects for the organismor, especially when they are consumed habitual way in the daily diet.
The sausages use cuts of pork, cow and in some cases chickenThey are also made from the leftovers that remain after the cuts. All these elements are crushed in industrial machines and then they mix with seasonings, sugars, curing agents, colorants and other ingredients.
The most common variants are: sausages, ham, salami, chorizo, sausage, mortadella, blood sausage and salami. Are from easy access and very versatile, which makes them products of very recurring consumption. Also thanks to their popularity they are the base ingredient from well-known dishes to international level as is the case with: sandwiches, hot dogs, pizza, hamburgers and they are a complement to many stews.
Among the aspects that most concern their consumption is His compositionbecause it is about highly processed foods than we assume that its main ingredient is meat and most contain very little real meat. They are also noted for their high in high fructose corn syrup, lots of sodium, sugar, acids, and preservatives, Each of these substances intervenes in a negative way in some aspect that deteriorates health.
What happens in the body when consuming them repeatedly:
- They are foods that complicate and hinder the digestion process: This is largely because they are difficult to digest. When consumed regularly, they tend staying in the intestines and lead to a dangerous accumulation of toxins.
- Accumulation of toxins: Beyond the typical signals that the body sends to an excess of toxins such as headaches, extreme tiredness, apathy, bad mood, inflammation and digestive problems. They are really harmful substances that in large quantities are directly related to a increased risk of chronic and degenerative diseases such as cardiovascular, cancer, hypertension and even premature death. At the same time, there are references in which Harvard scientists, found that 50 grams of processed meat per day increases the risk of diabetes and heart disease.
- Hormonal and neuronal imbalances: The presence of high-fructose corn syrup, which is found in many commercial sausage options, stands out for alter the levels of certain hormones as is the specific case of the insulin, leptin, and ghrelin. Which have a close relationship with hunger and satiety; too increase dopamine production and this makes consuming them generate pleasure, you can create a kind of dependence or addiction.
- They promote weight gain: A high consumption of sausages is directly related to an increase in accumulation of fat at the abdominal level. At the same time its content in saturated fat and cholesterol is directly related to the overweight and trouble reaching and healthy weight.
- Hypertension and fluid retention: One of the most common characteristics in the nutritional composition of sausages is their high content in sal. this is directly related to a increase in blood pressure, an increased risk of coronary heart disease and edema, which is characterized by swelling in the abdomen, feet, hands and elbows.
- Mineral imbalances: Sausages contain sugars that are used to hide its high salt contenthowever they tend to become lactic acid what is related to mineral imbalances. This condition is related to affectations in the nervous system and in the functioning of vital organs such as the liver, pancreas, and kidneys.
- They affect male fertility: A study conducted by Harvard University found that the amount of hormones contained in sausages, is an aspect that significantly affects the quality of the sperm. That is why they are a food that in large quantities reduces fertility.
- Increase the risk of cancer: Sausages contain many acids and preservatives they are not good for the body. Among the main ones, its contribution in sodium nitrite which is related to an increase in cases of stomach cancer and other types.
While it’s not about demonizing any foodKnowing its effects on health is a good tool for making healthier decisions. Evaluate our Feeding Habits and make necessary adjustments synonymous with health and wellness, remember that it’s all about balance.