For users unfamiliar with Google Alerts, this is a powerful marketing tool. It allows companies and brands to carry out regular and relevant monitoring of specific keyword queries. Using Google Alerts is a real advantage for tracking trends as well as competitors.
> Download: Misconceptions about SEO to forget in 2022″ align=”middle”/>
What is Google Alerts?
Google Alerts is the ultimate free monitoring marketing tool. It allows regular and relevant monitoring to be carried out on keywords predefined by a user and appearing on other websites. Google Alerts offers many advantages for users wishing to detect opportunities and monitor market trends.
- What is an alert? This is an automatically generated notification giving precise information on a specific request.
- How to create an alert? You must first create a Google account, then go directly to the Google Alerts site to create your personalized search alerts.
- How to delete a Google alert? You must log in to your Google Alerts account, then on the Administration page, choose the alert in question and click on “Delete alert”.
- How to use Google Alerts? All you have to do is connect to your Google Alerts account, enter the title of the request to be monitored in the area to be completed, choose the desired parameters and click on “Create the alert”.
- What are Google Alerts notifications? On the Google Alerts tool, it is possible to choose the e-mail address that will receive the notifications but also the frequency of these: instantaneous, daily, weekly…
Why use Google Alerts?
Google Alerts is a very convenient and easy to use monitoring tool. It allows any website owner to be alerted regularly as soon as a keyword that he uses or that he has selected is used by another site. Another site, but not only. Indeed, Google Alerts warns the user as soon as a keyword has been used on:
- an Internet site
- a blog
- a social network
- a discussion forum
- and a news site
The tool also has other significant benefits for the user who wants to advance their online business.
Google Alerts offers any user the possibility of knowing new market trends and especially those of his own market in which he is positioned. Due to the constant monitoring carried out by the tool, this makes it possible to follow in almost real time the new opportunities that may arise. Being alerted to the use of keywords gives more precise guidance on new products that may come out or if certain areas of activity tend to change as well. It is, in a way, a way of keeping informed of new trends and above all of anticipating them.
The Google Alerts tool has a real advantage in terms of natural referencing (SEO) by allowing users to improve their content. A website must now carry out an SEO strategy if it wants to be visible on search engines. This is one of the pillars of SEO and writing relevant text is essential. It is not always easy to have the right subjects. Based on the themes attracting a target for example and by programming the keywords used in said themes in Google Alerts, it is then possible to be alerted when new content comes out and to draw inspiration from it to create your own writings. obviously with the use of his own words. This will prevent you from making SEO mistakes such as using the wrong keywords or creating irrelevant content.
Google Alerts is also a perfect tool for legally monitoring competitors. It allows you to follow them without difficulty in order to ensure that they are up to date. By programming the name of a competitor in Google Alerts, for example, the user will be automatically notified of the slightest novelty on the website, if a product has been launched or if a blog article has just been published.
The tool will also make it possible to identify the authors of plagiarism. By programming certain keywords inserted into blog articles written by the user, the latter will immediately be notified when a text will appear and appear identical to his. A fairly simple way to monitor whether your own content is duplicated and take action in the event of a fault.
Finally, Google Alerts is an interesting ally in a marketing strategy when it is necessary to participate in certain events beneficial to the development of its activity. It is not always easy to know all the fairs and congresses planned during the year in a field of activity or on a particular theme. By indicating to Google Alerts the keywords related to the theme and by adding the keyword “congress” for example, it will be much easier to be informed about upcoming events.
How does Google Alerts work?
Google Alerts works quite simply and the user does not need to spend hours on how to use it. In reality, it is about creating parameters, its own parameters to configure the desired alerts. Here are the most used parameters:
- The frequency: i.e. the frequency with which alerts are received (once a week, once a day, instantly, etc.)
- Keywords: obviously the ultimate parameter to receive a search alert on the selected keywords
- The type of desired results: it is for the user to configure the sources he wishes to monitor (blog, website, forum, etc.)
- The classification of the results: to choose whether the user wants the most relevant results or all the results combined
- The language: this is the choice of the search language
- The sending mode: the user chooses how he wishes to receive the alerts.
It should be noted the importance of writing your keywords without spelling mistakes and with the correct syntax. It is also useless to accompany the keywords of the articles such as “the”, “the”, “the” etc. because Google Alerts will not take them into account. The use of quotation marks is always recommended to solicit a specific search.
How to create a Google alert?
First, you need to have a Google account. If not, you need to create one to get Google Alerts.
Once the Google account has been created, you must go to the home page of the Google Alerts site and from here start setting up the desired queries. In the “Create an alert about…” section at the top left of the screen, you must enter the keyword subject of the watch. It is also here that the name of the competitor must be entered if the user wishes to monitor the activity of the latter. Then, a list of results is displayed and it is therefore possible to create an alert.
Then, you have to define all of its parameters concerning the chosen query. These are the parameters seen earlier in this article that must be selected. To finish, just click on “Create an alert” to activate it. Now, Google Alerts alerts the user to any relevant information regarding the query.
It is worth noting that all activated alerts can be modified at any time by the user. To do this, simply go to the Google Alerts account, position yourself on your requests and click on the small pencil in front of the request to modify.
If Google Alerts is little known to many users, it is an effective tool if it is used well by them. It is a real ally for carrying out relevant monitoring of its keywords and for following trends.
To go further, download this free guide to SEO best practices and find out how to implement an effective SEO strategy.