After the release of iOS 14.4 at the end of January, Apple quickly upgraded to iOS 14.5. Currently, this new version of the iPhone operating system is in beta testing. The latest beta to date is the first in the system evolution cycle. Ditto for iPadOS 14.5, also in beta 1 at this point.
The final versions for everyone of each of these new OS are expected to be released in late March or early April. Below are the new features that iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5 and watchOS 7.4 should offer.
What’s new for iOS 14.5 and iPadOS 14.5?
In addition to fixing various bugs and improving general OS performance and battery life, here is what the new version 14.5 brings:
- Face ID and mask: Unlocking with Face ID is possible when the user is wearing a mask, the watch helping in the procedure. For this to work, the watch must be unlocked, however. Details here
- Dual-SIM 5G: the dual SIM functionality of the latest iPhone 12 was previously not compatible with 5G, except in China. With iOS 14.5, there is no longer any difference between countries, everyone can enjoy 5G Dual-SIM on iPhone
- Private life : developers must now ask permission from the user to track their IDFA ID, allowing them to know the applications, websites and services they are viewing, for marketing purposes. Until then, each developer could choose to offer or not this acceptance of the follow-up. With iOS 14.5, asking for permission is mandatory. For more details, see here
- AirPlay: streaming of Apple Fitness + content on AirPlay 2 compatible devices possible, convenient, especially with compatible televisions, for example
- Siri: ability to ask Siri to call an emergency contact
- Video game : support for PS5 DualSense and Xbox Series X controllers
- CarPlay: easy sharing of the estimated time of arrival for a launched trip
Note that in the code of iOS 14.5, it was also detected information concerning the possible arrival of a new possibility of family sharing for Apple Card service. But there is no guarantee at this stage that this novelty will arrive well with iOS 14.5. Apple could deploy the latter after the release of iOS 14.5.
Notice to testers, have you noticed any other interesting changes?
Do not miss either: