Since its creation, Google Ads’ Keyword Planner has added some exciting new features for SEO and SEA advertisers and SEOs. Here is a reminder of what this great Google keyword planning tool is and a focus on 3 tips to know how to use it well when using it to perform SEO or keyword analysis. SEA.
Reminder: What is Google Keyword Planner?
Google Keyword Planner, formerly the Google Keyword Tool, is a keyword planning tool created by Google and initially allowing its Google Ads advertisers to plan the performance of their paid search (SEA) keyword targeting and investments.
Today also widely used by SEO referrers to know the average monthly search volumes for the keywords of their choice on Google (by geographical location, by language or by period), this free tool is essential for any web marketing and natural or paid referencing strategy.
Indispensable in the context ofextensive keyword analysis, Google Keyword Planner must be used well in order to be able to draw its full potential. Discover our 3 main tips below to use it well.
1- Related ideas: find long tail keyword ideas related to one or more keywords
Using the section “Find New Keywords” from Google’s Keyword Planner, you will quickly notice that hundreds (or even thousands) of keyword suggestions are automatically offered to you by Google when you search for ideas for one or more keywords.
The problem is, not all of them relate closely to your original keywords and so there is a lot of junk (although this type of analysis often catches new ideas that you don’t know). had not necessarily thought).
Thus, in order to avoid time-consuming and tedious reprocessing when one simply seeks to obtain longer tail keyword suggestions closely related to the keywords integrated in the search (up to 10 now when looking for additional ideas), a feature offered by Keyword Planner is more than useful: Related ideas.
This very easy to use feature is disabled by default and set to ” Ideas indirectly related“.
Thus, to filter ideas only on keywords close to those originally searched, you just have to click on the selector ” Related ideas »Then select« Ideas directly related“.
Once the selector is active, you will notice that your list will be significantly more compact and will only include keywords related to your main keyword (this feature is recommended when you don’t put too many keywords in the keyword idea search bar).
2- Obtain the breakdown of Google searches carried out from mobiles vs computers and tablets
In some industries, the volume of mobile searches far exceeds the volume of searches on computers and touch pads.
If on Google, on a global scale, since 2015, searches carried out on mobile have already exceeded those carried out from computers, each sector of activity and target has its specificities that should be analyzed when performing accurate keyword analysis and digital market research.
Thus, it is often relevant to carry out these checks through an analysis based on data from the number 1 search engine in France with its more than 94% market share.
The good news is that Google Keyword Planner allows it !
Concretely, again, all you have to do is go to the interface allowing you to find new keyword ideas and then simply use the selector located at the top left of the interface to choose the type of graph to display.
Basic, Google Keyword Planner shows you the search trends on the keywords searched but you can also select ” Breakdown by platform Which will give you a pie chart like this with the breakdown of searches:
3- Obtain historical search volume for a specific list of keywords
Since Google rolled out its new interface of Google Keyword Planner, some features are no longer highlighted in the same way and new limits have appeared.
So if you have a precise list of keywords you just want to get search volume for through an excel file in .csv, here is the procedure to follow:
- Go to your Google Adwords account (a minimum of expenses is required to be able to use the Google Keyword Planner tool from now on)
- Click on the ” Obtain research volume and forecasts”
- Copy and paste your keywords separated by a comma or import a file to analyze then click on the CTA “Start”
- At this stage, you will arrive on an interface presenting you the performance forecasts of your campaigns for these keywords but that is not what interests us here. Thus, to obtain the historical search volume, month by month, on the integrated list of keywords, you will have to go to the ” Historical statistics”
- Once on this new tab, all you have to do is go to the top right of the interface then click on the download arrow icon (down arrow underlined) then choose ” Plan statistics history (.csv)“.
- Then all you have to do is save and rename your file wherever you want and then analyze the data in Excel (you will have access to average monthly search volumes, Google Ads competition level, high and low bids for target the top of the page on Google Ads and month-to-month search volumes over the past 12 months (if you haven’t changed the base crawl duration)
The latest innovations deployed to date on Google Keyword Planner:
- More basic keywords : enter up to 10 basic keywords when searching for new ideas
- Keyword Trends : View or download trends for individual keyword ideas
- Grouped ideas : view keywords by topic or add the set as an ad group
- Saving an idea in an existing campaign : add a keyword idea to a campaign you’ve already created
- Suggested budget : Discover a daily budget suggestion based on the max CPC bid. and expected costs
- Competitor value column : get an accurate ranking of your competitors for different keyword ideas
Need a detailed keyword analysis or extensive digital market research?
I use Google Keyword Planner on a daily basis to perform keyword analyzes that I use for my SEO and SEA optimizations.
More broadly in the context of digital market analyzes, Google’s keyword planner is very interesting for identifying search trends, seasonality, changing trends, the share of mobile vs. desktop searches, regions the most popular for this or that theme …
If you have a specific need and the budget to outsource it, do not hesitate to contact me.
Where to go to find a SEA agency?
SEA (Search Engine Advertising) paid referencing is the perfect way to gain better visibility. Click here to contact an agency specializing in SEA. By contacting our partner, you will benefit from the expertise of real professionals who will put in place the most appropriate strategy to help you achieve your goals. You will first have to determine the best keywords on which you want to rank. Then, through a google ads campaign, you can set up an advertising program including attractive ads on the net. By using remarketing, our partner’s SEA strategy experts will be able to identify users with a targeted profile. Through a platform called google shopping, you will have the opportunity to sell your products if you are an e-merchant. By using the Display Network, you will be able to serve your targeted ads online. Our partner’s SEA agency is at your disposal to assist you in your project. They will professionally determine the best strategy to adopt to increase your visibility and traffic. You can trust them to help you achieve all of your goals!
Useful links :
Do you want to receive our best articles?
By subscribing to the LEPTIDIGITAL newsletter, you confirm that you have read our confidentiality and data processing policy (your email will never be shared and will remain anonymous 😉).